Saturday, June 2, 2018

Riding that Train


This has been such an up and down week. Full of emotions and chaos and decisions. Fresh from last weekend’s retreat I was set and ready to stay steady, calm, Zen really. All meditative. Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans, for sure.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to have the retreat with me still. The lessons I learned are in my heart, but it was hard to keep all of that in my right mind throughout the week. I am reminded of my trip to Italy. That trip changed my life, then, and forever. It is ingrained in my heart, my memories, and in my soul. I had such life altering experiences, yet when I came back, even before the dust and jet lag settled my mother died. I could not properly reflect and revel in my experiences. So many people wanted to know what happened along the way, each detail, sight seen, food tasted, senses ignited, but it was hard to remember with any recall or any thought that would mask the raw emotion of losing my mother. It was all lost for a while, but eventually it came back and the details were as sweet as the actual memory making was. Mom would have hated that, for sure, that delay in sharing. I know how proud she was of me and my adventure. I know she knew how I came back so much more healed and so much more ready to face my new life; I shared that with her on the phone in our last conversation. It was all about new beginnings and experiences.

The retreat was very much like that.  A new beginning. New “tools” (although that word really is so over used these days) to help me experience life and its challenges. It was calm and restorative for me. There was not an overarching theme for me. I set the intention of clearing the clutter of work, and shaking off all the emotions absorbed through the end of the year traumas and dramas of working in a Title 1, Renaissance school. Big emotions. Kids need routine, structure, security, stability. These are basic functions required to live a life that will thrive. These are things I took for granted as a child, and most of the people I know did as well. Without these basic needs being met children fail to thrive, fail to grow, fail to gain life skills needed to cope in the world. They learn survival techniques. Smash and grab, in a way. So school, for them, is often a haven they are not even aware of. They get two guaranteed meals a day. They get attention – good or bad. They are cared for and loved, even if they do not recognize it for what it is. It is undeniably understandable that they dread the end of the year – facing two months off without stability, meals, attention. All those fears come crashing in and their behaviors escalate. On the last day of school when kids are normally so thrilled to be off for two whole months, many kids at school are in hysterics, sobbing, crying, worrying about the future and the summer, and all of those needs not met come crashing back in on them.
                                                                       
My wish and desire for the retreat was to get rid of all that pent up angst absorbed from those last few weeks. And it worked. I was calm and quiet all weekend; meditative and reflective. It was amazing. I was a bit off kilter when I got home; just sort of a culture shock kind of thing, for lack of a better word. The quiet and calm of the woods and the retreat were amazing. My house is quiet and wonderful, but it has a different feel. I got back late in the afternoon Monday and went to work Tuesday morning. There was a lot of chaos at work; the wireless was out; the electrician was there. There was a lot to be done, and I did not get it all done, despite my best efforts. I had to leave to take my car back to the shop and it was raining. Bad vibes after the car dealer, then trying to plan my summer trip turned into a huge effort. I lost my Zen for sure. Wednesday was a little better, but I was without my car until they gave me a rental so I could get to work the next day – which ended up my last day, thank goodness! It’s just been a week, and I am glad today is Saturday and it is all behind me.

I am on a train. Train travel is pretty fun, I think. There are some very strange people on trains – even more so than airports. There is an older woman sitting kitty-corner from me; she reminds me a bit of Doreen from my book group. There are a bunch of other folks on the train; all ages and walks of life.  A group of kids just came walking through trailing a gentleman; dad, chaperone? It is hard to tell. A very strange kind of scary character came huffing through the car a little while ago. He was moaning and groaning, talking to himself. He threw his bag in the bin overhead, settled in and starting moaning. The woman turned her head and we both locked eyes and raised our eyebrows. I have been afraid to look behind me, but it appears that last moan took him back where he came from to a different car – or maybe off the train, because he was a lot scary.

The train is taking me to Columbia to visit my sister DeLaine for this next week. It is such an inexpensive way to travel, and I am rather taken with it, especially after last summer’s Syracuse to Toledo adventure. The seats are roomy, I have two to myself. The leg rests are awesome, the windows huge. The tray table pulls down and slides forward. Right now we are stopped in Kissimmee, so the lack of swaying is good. Typing as the train moves is a little like the movie Contact. Remember when Jodie Foster was in the pod getting ready to take off after they built the time travel pod? It was shaking and rattling her teeth as the machine counted down? That is train typing. It is kind of amusing.

I am on the road to getting my Zen back tonight. I am on the train all night; it is a 10 hour ride, and we left about 40 minutes ago, so I have a lot longer to go. But it is good. I have a book, I have water, I have my red pashmina and a pillow. And I am on vacation, on my way to see my sister. Next week the wind will blow me north to New York to see my family, with further talk of a visit to Acadia in Maine. I am feeling relaxed and refreshed. Namaste.
                                                                 
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment