Sunday, June 24, 2018

Mt. Washington and thoughts on nature


I spent yesterday afternoon with my brother and sister-in-law and CR. It was a day full of laughter and funny moments, and I am feeling particularly grateful this morning. It is Sunday, overcast, probably around 50 degrees outside and it is absolutely lovely in the calm, quiet of such a day. We are surrounded by the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and they are low, rolling and green. They do not have the majesty of the mountains in the west, but they are much older and have been eroding for so much longer. They have earned their stateliness. As I look at the Adirondacks, the Green Mountains of Vermont, and these, the White Mountains, I find myself intrigued by their age. I try to picture them younger, more craggy, more rugged, higher as they are in the west and I can almost catch the sight in my minds eye. But these mountains have been eroding for so much longer than the Rockies or the Olympics have been "alive". They have a different peace to them. They are home to incredible animals and incredible plants. Yesterday we drove to the top of Mt. Washington in Gorham, which is where we are staying. It was a scary drive to me, but not to CR, Bobby or Betsy. That was fine; I kept my eyes closed to the top for the most part and I was able to swallow my fears. Once up at the top I am truly ok. I love the vistas, looking out at the rolling hills, the distant landmarks, the layers and layers of mountains surrounding. It fascinates me and inspires me; and it does instill in me a healthy fear and reverence for the beauty and wildness of it all. We ended up having to leave sooner, rather than later, however, because the weather settled in over us; the clouds that were below us met with the clouds above and a cold, heavy with moisture rain came with this meeting. Mt. Washington, interestingly enough, is proud to be "home" of the worst weather in the world. It proudly proclaims to be the record holder for the highest ever recorded wind gust in the world; 231 miles per hour. To me, gusts of 30 can be breathtaking and a bit pushy. I cannot fathom what it must have been like at the top of a mountain 6300 feet in the air being pushed around by such winds.

Brave people settled our world and helped to tame it to what it is we know know. Someone was the first to come here to America - even farther back than European settlers. I am not discounting early man and early spreading of humanity. I am thinking of more recent settlers; those that came within the past 600 years. They were so courageous to begin such a journey at such a time in history. There were no modern conveniences; no heated cabins, catered food, no long hot showers. It is required for me to have clean underwear, a place to take a shower; a toothbrush, potable water - even, pretty much, a bathroom. I am basic, but I am pampered and I know that I am not the most un-hardy person out there! So these brave souls - women in skirts, bearing children, caring for families, ventured into the unknown and came here. They slowly settled across the country enduring hardships I cannot even begin to fathom. And here we are, more than 500 years later sitting at the foot of a mountain that was explored by horse, wagon, mules back 150 odd years ago. Brave men cut trees, blasted boulders with black powder in order to arrive at the top of this particularly high (by eastern landscape standards), treacherous mountain, and they created a road in their wake. Was it just to do it? Some trapper or adventurer had made it to the top prior to that. I believe it was first explored because it was believed that precious metals or stones might be discovered, but the truth is, those shining rocks are mica and quartz, common and nothing of any real monetary value. So, here we are, so many years later, climbing the mountain in the comfort of our cars, sheltered (mostly) from the impending, inevitable storms. We are imagining those early settlers; those brave, hearty souls who climbed in previous years and spent the night in the old hotel at the top. Those brave, hearty souls who stay there all winter recording and measuring wind gusts, snowfall, other storms. It is breathtaking and amazing and impressive all at once, and as much as I like to think I like to adventure, the thought of doing all that work and experiencing true fear - alone on a mountaintop in the middle of winter, not able to go down, measuring the worst weather in the world? Nothing scary there. The truth is I am much more pampered and much less brave.

It makes me feel a bit small and insignificant, put into that kind of perspective. I don't mean that in a self-deprecating way. I know and can admire and value my own strengths. I can learn recognize and work on my own weaknesses. The insignificance I mean is what it means to be in awe of nature and the thoughts and feelings that can invoke and inspire. We are such small beings on the face of the earth, and really not only our planet but in the universe. It is humbling. It shows me that the problems of the world? All the strife occurring now - our president and his funky shenanigans, the mental state society seems to be in; the anger, the ire, the what-about-me mentality; the me-first-and-to-heck-with-you way of thinking and living? All that seems just so basic and so silly and so unnecessary. All around us we live on this lovely planet. Nature goes on, despite our best efforts to tame it and make it do our bidding. It scoffs at us, really. The rain still rains. Trees still grow. Animals live, eat, procreate, survive, and die. It is the cycle of things; it is how it should all be. It seems so cliche, and yet it is all so basic. I cannot think cynical about the world as a whole. Yes, people do bad things to our world, to each other, to nature. And yet it seems to struggle on. One day humankind will not be here. One day these trees and rocks, animals, plants - all that will be gone. That is the cycle. New things will come and replace what we know, what we hold scared. It is the natural order of things and it is refreshing to truly believe that is just how it really needs to be.
CR and I

My brother and Sister-of-my-heart

No comments:

Post a Comment