Saturday, February 16, 2019

Humanimal: How Homo sapiens Became Nature’s Most Paradoxical Creature―A New Evolutionary History: Book Review



What an intriguing look at the fine lines that separate humans from animals, and yet really, there is not a lot of distinction genetically. The descriptions of DNA and genetic codes were easy enough to follow, and yet at the end I found myself not really close to understanding the brilliance of science and nature. I believe the point of the book was to inform readers that despite the marvelous advances in scientific research, DNA coding, continual theory, speculation, and scientific experimentation, we are still a long way from discovering the "missing link" that made us evolve as we did, and continue to do so. It is as if the more we know, the less we know despite our best efforts to figure out the complete truth of why we are here and how we are as we are.

I found the sections on sexual habits and evolution a little disturbing, and yet I know that was not the intention. They were matter-of-fact observations told in clear words, and they were not offensive, and yet it brings home the point that, really, acceptable behavior boils down to our thinking and mental process. It ties into specific current society as to what is considered acceptable and what is not, and it is also varied from country to country.  I loved reading about the mystery of the evolution of language, and although I have studied a little of the history of cave paintings and Venus sculptures, this was a fresh look and more in-depth with knowledge that dates back to far beyond what I have learned in the past. I particularly like the fact that at the end the author states that he did his own research based on the work of other scientists and their works. It's really a compilation of pared down research done by others,. He does give credit where credit is due.

This is a fascinating look at evolution. It is not a book that most people, in general, will pick up and read; it is not a light, easy, get-lost-in-the-story kind of book, and I am uncertain as to a true audience that will appreciate it. I did appreciate in the end, although I also found some of the science throughout a bit over my head. I am glad for a chance to read and review it. It is not a genre or a book I would generally pick up and read from cover-to-cover, but I did in this instance and I am glad that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment