Thursday, December 13, 2018

Book Review - The Drum That Beats Within Us

For as long as I can remember I’ve loved poetry. I grew up devouring Rod McKuen, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, and in more recent years Mary Oliver and Billy Collins. When I saw The Drum That Beats Within Us and read about the poet, I was intrigued and was fortunate to receive an advance copy to read. 

This is such a beautiful book of poetry. I started reading it slow to savor just a few poems a day until I felt the need to read more and more and finish, unwillingly. I’m looking forward to purchasing a physical copy of this book and will treasure it as I do so many of my other favorite poetry volumes. 
The language is beautiful, heartbreaking, romantic, sad, savvy, and nostalgic all at once. From longer poems to very short, thought provoking poems, the lines of each take the reader to a world the poet has experienced or given much thought to. Truly beautiful, I look forward to exploring more work by Mr. Bond.



No comments:

Post a Comment