Friday, February 26, 2021

City Spies: Golden Gate, a book review

 


I absolutely loved Golden Gate. I did not think it was possible to appreciate James Ponti's writing more than I already do, but each book becomes more and more endearing to me. I first read his Framed series when I was on a statewide committee to choose books for pleasure reading for children. Espionage books for kids - what a fabulous concept! 

There is something for all readers in Golden Gate. Espionage, travel, friendship, working together, working out differences. The story starts with a on the high seas. Sydney knows she should not be diving alone, but she just wanted some alone time - meanwhile, Brooklyn is left to thwart the hi-jackers who are attempting to abduct the very girls Sydney and Brooklyn are along ship to protect.

Sydney, Brooklyn, Kat, Paris, and Rio are an elite team put together by Mother, the leader of their group of spies; a faction of internationally known M16. The girls overcome their differences and together the five set out to trap a double agent, along the way trying to fit together the pieces of Mother's missing family and the death of another retired agent. 

As a librarian, I appreciate the diversity of Ponti's writing. He does not write "girl or boy" books, or books for any specific culture. His characters are well written and full of life, and they do not fit into any stereotypical mold. As an adult I can appreciate the time and effort he puts into these stories. As an adult reading to determine a child's perspective, I can appreciate the action, the adventure and the curiosity of the characters. It is not an easy task to write for young readers, and I very much appreciate the quality of the authors writing. Golden Gate is an exceptional book for young readers (and adult readers will enjoy it too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment