Sunday, January 8, 2017

Villa I Due Padroni



Even before Frances Mayes enticed readers to visit Italy, I fell in love with all things Italian. My dream was realized in 2005 with a trip to Italy, alone, for 22 days. I stayed in a home much like Stef and Nico’s for 8 days, took cooking classes with the local Italian Mama’s, and have longed to go back since I boarded the plane to come back. To me that is the ultimate American dream – but I can see that it is really an International dream, too; living la dolce vita. Stef Smulders book Living in Italy: The Real Deal – How to Survive the Good Life shows that two gentlemen from Holland are living out the ultimate deal – and Stef wrote of their adventures. What is not to love about that?

I was given the chance to read Stef’s book by way of an advance e-copy from the author. I delayed reading it for a bit, but I am so glad I finally settled in and finished it! What a delight. The chapters are short, comically humorous snapshots of Italian bureaucracy, Italian thinking, and the Italian way of life. But there is more underneath; the story of two people who take control of their lives (as much as they can in a foreign country!) and make their own dreams come true; dreams that they secretly held, or had yet to discover. That is true adventure.

One of the things that struck me the most is the tone of the book. Stef is never judgmental of the Italians and their way of life or thinking. He accepts them as they are yet still maintains his own good humor despite all the very real struggles he and Nico encountered. To experience it is one thing, to write about it and keep the tone light and humorous is perfect for this narration. I am grateful for the gift of this terrific read, and I hope Stef writes more about their Italian adventures soon! I look forward to reading more – and to pay a visit one day soon to Villa I Due Padroni.

Living in Italy - Book Reviews
http://www.duepadroni.it/

No comments:

Post a Comment