Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Artist's Way

I have not been this excited and this actively involved in a writing project for some time. You probably have read The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron? I - believe it or not - have not. Me, a bookseller for nearly 16 years; a librarian for over 8 years, and aspiring writer. Recently I heard mention of it somewhere, and I wanted immediate reading access. I downloaded a $2.99 sample of the high-lights and borrowed an electronic version from the public library - no physical copies were available, so it was second best until I can get to the book store to buy a copy. What I have gleamed so far is the Morning Pages concept. I am enamored. Just in case you don't know this about The Artist’s Way (and I honestly think I am probly the last person in the world to know this!) the Morning Pages are three - no more, no less - pages hand-written just after you wake in the morning. They are personal, not to be read, shared, or even re-read for quite some time. They are almost a catharsis. You write whatever is on your mind and make all kinds of self-discoveries; hidden passions or obstacles in your way. Things that have been bothering you, hidden dreams. Whatever. They have to be hand-written, not typed, because typing can be a deterrent to creativity, and it can also be readily corrected or deleted. The hand-writing allows thoughts to flow in a normal manner or order. One of the things I have noticed is that I used to be able to hand-write for a long time, many pages in a row without hand cramps. Not so much now. My hand is protesting, but it is worth it to keep going, hand cramps and time constraints set aside. The whole idea is to free yourself of creative blocks and even to establish a new routine for writing. It also is supposed to be done on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, but I have a ton of composition books, so that is what I am using. Today was Day 9. I look forward to rising each morning and writing! I am going have to start setting my alarm tomorrow (Monday) so I am already deciding how much time I need to give myself. I am thinking that as I begin work again it is going to be such a fabulous way to start each work day. I am truly excited. I am looking forward to each morning; I mean, I already do love each morning, but this adds another layer!


Every year I tell myself THIS will be the year that I get back on track. That I work on my goals and my dreams. And every year goes by and I am not closer to my dreams. This year I am taking charge of that and I hope this new path or direction can keep my motivation going. Each year that passes is another missed opportunity. I believe that things happen as they should, but I also believe that we can control our destinies a little and help guide ourselves where we need to be. I love writing too much, have wanted that dream too long, and have done so little to accomplish it. So this year it is one of my goals - again. Along with always trying to be a better person - more patient, kind, caring, considerate...but also, more selfish. I give so much of myself, always. I always put others needs before my own; part of being a nurturing person. So while I still want to be a better person, part of that means saying no sometimes and putting myself first. It sounds like two separate, conflicting goals, but I think they twine together. We are only given so much time; so many days, and it is such a shame to have a dream for so long that I have not pursued to the best of my ability. Hello, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment