Thursday, July 2, 2015

Black Lake, New York

July 1, 2015 Black Lake, NY

Here I am. The summers of my youth spent here – long beautiful sunny, summer days; long rainy damp days spent reading, listening to music, spending time with my sisters or my cousins – my family all around. Sometimes friends would come up here with us, but mostly it was all family. The memories we made are precious, and all of us remember different moments. For so many of us, it is our happy place, and we are so blessed that we can still go “home” to our memories, both physically and mentally.

Today I woke to the rain. A lot of rain. Right now, several hours later, the rain has let up, but a cool, fresh breeze blows. The birds are singing, the crows are cawing out back in the fields. The water, higher right now because of spring thaws and decent amounts of rain, laps against and over the dock and against the shore. Across the lagoon, to the Point, as we always called it, the water level is still below where it was for so many years. Old moss and lichen stretch upward, away from the water, and two old row boats, upside down, are partially submerged, the water causing a popping sound that echoes across the lagoon as it gently knocks underneath the boats. Last year my dad had the Amish build a wonderful porch on the front, or lakeside, of the house. It spans from one end to the other. At first my sisters and I were a little skeptical – it sounded like a monstrosity. I am the first to see it, and I admit, I like it very much. It allows much more outdoor time than ever before. The old deck was not covered, and when it rained, getting outside involved huddling under umbrellas. Now being outside is a luxury I am really liking a lot. There are tons of chairs, hanging chairs, tables, etc. that make it such a wonderful addition.


Earlier I could hear the mournful sound of a barge out on the St. Lawrence River, which is about 10 miles north, and runs parallel to Black Lake. I am hearing, across the lake, the steady clip clop of an Amish horse and buggy on Hwy 37. At this point, the lake is roughly about ¾ of a mile across, my best guess, but sound travels over the water, and the wind almost always blows this way (south). There is some automobile traffic I can also hear, as people travel to and from Hammond to Ogdensburg, or any point in between. We live on the south side of the lake, on the eastern end. Although we are not exactly in the middle, there is a good distance of lake on either end. The eastern end runs toward the Oswegatchie River, although it is pretty tough to travel the distance by boat; the lake becomes shallow and grass takes over. This lake was formed eons ago by the movement of the glaciers. Most of the rocks bear the scars of glacial scratches. As kids that was thrilling, but also commonplace to us. Now I can appreciate the beauty and significance of that. Some people really never have the opportunity to experience such a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment