Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Jerry's Magic

I was offered an advanced copy of a book called Jerry's Magic by W.W. Rowe through Net Galley. I don't think my words will make or break this book, and in fact I always hesitate to review a book I do not care for, yet there might be an older child or person who could benefit from this book, so I decided to share my thoughts.

This is a short read, and I think the intended audience is children around 10 years old, which is Jerry's age in the story. However, I think that Jerry's growth and ability to learn meditation and answer to a higher self might confuse a ten year old audience.

As an adult I can appreciate Jerry's choices, and Jerry's magic. I am not certain that a 10 year old would. The story starts out simply enough, but about halfway through becomes more about the higher power of our souls and our ability to discover the magic within ourselves and about how if we believe in something enough it becomes real. These are deep topics for a young audience. While a child might enjoy Jerry's mishaps as he struggles to make money pedaling magical wares to help his mom and enhance the family income and making a better life for them, Jerry's self-discovery was a little to mature a reaction for a ten-year old boy, in my opinion. It is not a book I cared much for, and I do not plan to recommend it to the children in my library.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1248839156

No comments:

Post a Comment